Do you believe SYSTEMS NEED TO CHANGE to better serve families of individuals with disabilities? Join other PARENTS ADVOCATING FOR CHANGE at the system and policy levels!
The Parents for Change Advocacy Program empowers parents of young and adult children with disabilities to create change in their schools and service systems through community leadership. Parents can participate in our Parents for Change Advocacy Training or attend the Parents for Change Advocacy Group.
PARENTS FOR CHANGE ADVOCACY TRAINING
Through this FREE online training, participants gain advocacy skills and strategies, learn about the legislative process, and discover how to work with decision-makers to influence systems and policy. Participants get tools to impact issues that matter to them and collaborate with other parents as part of this dynamic and supportive action community. Join PHP in building a movement of parent change-makers!
- Six 90-min to 2-hr online training sessions from January to June 2024. 1-2 meetings may be offered in person in San Jose depending on interest.
- Participants must attend all sessions. Dates/times are set after receiving participant schedules in the application.
- Light homework will be given between sessions; up to two hours of time monthly.
- Participants receive unique resources and opportunities in local and national advocacy networks.
- A $100 stipend is available upon completion of all 6 sessions.
- Participants must be residents of Santa Clara County.
- English and Spanish training cohorts are available. (Spanish program format varies from English.)
Benefits of Parents for Change
Gain knowledge, skills, and tools necessary to engage in effective policy advocacy and improve systems and services for families. Become part of a greater parent community dedicated to systems change. Find support, build relationships, and collaborate on shared goals.
Parents for Change utilizes Family Voices of California’s Project Leadership curriculum, a highly interactive and engaging program that has been used to train hundreds of parents across California. Training topics include:
- History & purpose of advocacy
- Systems, laws & entitlements
- Working with decision-makers for change
- Developing & presenting your story
- Participating on decision-making bodies
- Promoting messages through media
- Creating your action plan
Who Should Apply
Parents for Change is for those who are:
- A parent or guardian of a young or adult child with special needs or disabilities.
- Interested in systems-level advocacy, with a desire to improve policies, systems, and services for children with special needs.
- New to systems-level advocacy or wanting to expand basic knowledge and skills.
- Willing to engage in discussions, activities, and assignments.
- Santa Clara County residents.
- English or Spanish speakers.
How to Apply
SUBMIT AN APPLICATION by November 26, 2023 to be considered for our January-June 2024 program.
Space is limited; placement is not guaranteed. We will contact you after your application is received. Questions? Contact Beverly Wong.
PARENTS FOR CHANGE ADVOCACY GROUP
The Parents for Change Advocacy Group is a volunteer coalition of parents working together to influence systems and policies to improve the lives of children with special needs and their families. We meet online through our bi-monthly general meetings and monthly subgroups focused on Education, Inclusion, and the Spanish Language Community. All are welcome!
Contact Beverly Wong to learn more or join our email list.